Wild Rye Bread

July 20, 2016


Well, I think that the photo above tells it all. You know why the recipe of the week is called Wild Rye Bread. It was rainy but warm day and my sourdough decided to hop out of the tin. This kind of things happen when you are baking with sourdough. It's never boring!

The mess looked bad, but it was easily cleared up. I scraped off the excess dough and put it into muffin cups, kept the rest of the dough up with a foil and baked it all. I took the muffin cups out of the oven earlier. They were tasting bites. The loaf came out later and it was just fine too. 

The photo below proves that in the end I had a chance to eat my favorite rye bread. It's moist and dense, really sour and earthy in flavor. I could eat this every day!


1 large loaf

1 dl (100 g) sourdough starter
1,5 dl (100 g) coarse rye flour
1,5 dl (150 g) lukewarm water

Combine the ingredients in a baking bowl. Cover with a tea towel and leave at room temperature for 8–10 hours.

Add:
5 dl (500 g) lukewarm water
8 dl (420 g) coarse rye flour

Cover with a tea towel and leave at room temperature for 38–40 hours. The dough gets the sour, earthy flavor during these couple of days. Don't be hasty and bake the bread before its due time! Let time work for you.

Add:
4 dl (260 g) wheat flour
2 tsp salt
1,5 tbsp caraway seeds
1,5 tsp coriander seeds, crushed

Pour the wet mixture into a greased tin. Cover and let rise for about 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 200°C. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Take the bred out of the tin and bake for a further 15 minutes. 

Wrap the bread in a tea towel and let cool. When cooled, put the bread in a plastic bag and serve it the next day. 

Enjoy! 

You Might Also Like

4 kommenttia

  1. me gustaría ver el corte del pan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild indeed! But the bread looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently visited my best friend in Tampere, and fell in love with the Augustin Ruisleippa there. Lovely and sour, and SO TASTY! I can't wait to make all different types of rye bread. Thank goodness I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete